Wednesday, 25 July 2018

The journey so far

This particular adventure of mine started in March 2017.

I saw a job that sounded interesting and I applied. It was that simple.

Then came the interview, the waiting, the getting of the job. That was May 2017. It all went very quiet - until ...

 June 2018 when I went for the two week assessment/course and I passed. I'm off to India for a period of 12 weeks.

Everyone says it's exciting - I run from nervous to excited to bewilderment to utter shock that I'm doing this.

I was the child that never went anywhere unless she had an easy route home, if she didn't like it. Yes, I came to England from South Africa, on a gap year (20-odd years and counting - someone call the Guinness Book of Records) but I had family here...

I cannot wait to feel the slam of heat on my face, my bones stretching to enjoy the warmth. And yes, I mean India not the current climate in East Sussex. I've been checking the weather reports like a woman possessed/obsessed and I can clarify that Bexhill is experiencing the same humidity as New Delhi. Awesome! My hair will embrace it's full Monica-ness (Friends reference).

Those who know me, will know that I love a list and a notebook. I have two of each dedicated to this adventure. I wish I was one of those people who could lock the front door and say 'see ya later'. That's not who I am though, and the household still has to run while I'm away. And I didn't realise how much I do, until I had to 'source it out'. Turns out, I don't spend all my time watching My Kitchen Rules Australia. (and on that note: Sky Go better work out in Asia)

Things I'm looking forward to:
* seeing a place I've never seen before
* experiencing the food, the culture
* obviously seeing the Taj Mahal - I do like to go 'tourist'.
* shopping! the markets in particular
* exotic fruits... I'm counting on a bit of Dragon Fruit that's been ripening in the sunshine and not the freezer in Tesco
* learning a new job role - time to be bold and out of the comfort zone

Things I'm not:
* missing my people
* potential snake encounters - I will become the fastest woman on earth should one slither my way
* see above for big spiders

I realise this first blog entry has been all over the place... I promise to be more coherent in future.



1 comment:

  1. All the best on your travels, Ali. Well done for having the get and go to get up and go! Your devotees look forward to updatea. Go girl😊x

    ReplyDelete