Wednesday, 19 September 2018

Week 7

Still haven't worked out the picture situation on here.... never mind, I'll upload a million when I get home - which is in 41 days just in case you weren't aware.

Tomorrow marks 7 weeks that I've been here. I keep on thinking I haven't done anything - and then realise 'oh hello! You're in India, that's enough'.

I'm conscious of the fact that I'm working, so this is not a holiday and as such, I do need to just chill by the pool and recharge and relax. I don't have a pool/weather/5*hotel back home so I really should enjoy that as well. And now I'm not freaking out that I'm not doing EVERYTHING India has to offer, I'm doing things I enjoy.

Tonight I'm going to a mall.... and they do malls properly here. Not Priory Meadow style - more like twice the size of Bluewater. But what's with the marble floors? Everywhere we go, shiny floors twinkle up at me, daring me to slip. I haven't yet. I think it's a matter of time.

Saturday, we are off to Jaipur for two days. I'm very excitable about this. Elephants and museums and pretty places. My expectations are high!

Then it's the obligatory journey to the Taj Mahal. I'm not sure you're allowed to leave India, unless you've been there. ;)

And my final trip I've planned, is a solo trip to Goa - the chance to bury my feet in the sand, feel the waves roll over me, I'm yearning for the ocean! I wonder if they have seagulls there..... have I missed them? I've missed their call.

The experiences I'm having are beyond anything I thought I would. I've seen an abundance of wild life - which considering we are in a city is pretty great. Peahens and their chicks at work, green parrots everywhere. Monkeys and their babies getting fed on the streets by the locals.... it's just so different, so raw, so India (?). I pinch myself a million times a day, thinking how fortunate I have been.

So surely I have a negative about India? Nope, not about India or it's people at all. Living in the hotel with people you work with, is a little like being in the Big Brother house. People are just that little bit too sensitive and everything is magnified. And that's fine if you understand that we are all away from our own comforts and family and friends (with whom you have shared history). And my other negative is - and this is a totally 'princess, first world' gripe: I wish I could open a window in my room. I have learnt to love and despise air con in very equal measures. It's grand when you've walked Saronji market for an hour and a half....then you fall into air con like water in a desert. And Saronji.... it's fab!

Last night we went to a mehndi - there are no words to describe how great it was. The drummers, the dancing, the tradition, the food, the effort everyone made. Without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best nights I've had here.


No comments:

Post a Comment